Keyboard and Mouse Controls

General question and answers forum for Chapter 1, as well as any general feedback on gameplay, plot, mood and genre.
Velgus

Re: Keyboard and Mouse Controls

Post by Velgus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:56 am

Yeah, most of this is identical. I just wrote it out for reference.

>The zoom while having an item picked up makes sense, so I can see keeping it as is. I honestly never thought to use it for positioning items, only examining them. Is there a hint for this in game? Or maybe the first time someone picks up a box or jerry can maybe it can display? Basically it teaches the player in a practical scenario.

>It looks like you're already working on equipping/unequipping, so I think that is covered.

>Regarding the inventory, the only real change I'm suggesting to consider is allowing an item to be thrown from the inventory. This assumes throwing is important and somewhat frequent in the game for instances such as throwing the walkie talkie, or perhaps throwing an item to create sound to draw enemies away. It felt counter intuitive to me to have to drop an item, pick it up, then throw it. Of course, if you allow this then it likely makes the most sense to use the same key as throwing a picked up item (currently clicking the right mouse button), in which case other keys would have to be adjusted to accommodate this change.

>For the R-shortcut key, yes I meant it to refer to the walkie talkie. I considered suggesting calling the walkie talkie a portable radio then having the R key as a shortcut to help players remember more easily (R = Radio, since W can't equal walkie talkie). However I now realize it can't be referred to as a radio since you already have radios in game. It's difficult to comment on combat since all I've shot is a dog so far. I didn't feel like the combat was particularly engaging, at least so far. Compare to a game like the first Resident Evil where firing on the first zombie was tense and engaging for me. I don't know much about my character, but it would be surprise me if he could effectively use a pistol, sword, and bow and arrow when it seems to me like he doesn't strike me as a person with military training.
How about a slightly different method. When you approach a usable item, you get a prompt hovering over the item, saying "E: Use X on Y", but only if you have X of course.
This seems like a good approach to me. I don't think multiple difficulties are a good fit for this game, though it's difficult to comment on until I can experience all of chapter 1.

StuartM

Post by StuartM » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey,
Regarding the inventory, the only real change I'm suggesting to consider is allowing an item to be thrown from the inventory. This assumes throwing is important and somewhat frequent in the game for instances such as throwing the walkie talkie, or perhaps throwing an item to create sound to draw enemies away. It felt counter intuitive to me to have to drop an item, pick it up, then throw it.
Ok - I understand. Yep, let me see if I can make it work from within the inventory.
I don't know much about my character, but it would be surprise me if he could effectively use a pistol, sword, and bow and arrow when it seems to me like he doesn't strike me as a person with military training.
No, he certainly doesn't have training, and so combat should be clumsy and often ineffective. However, in later chapters I expect him to improve. The AI on the dogs and the glitch is pretty basic. If either hears or sees you, within earshot or radius of vision, they will attack. And will continue attacking until killed. If they lose sight of you, they will go to the last position you were seen, and if still can't see you, will resume their normal nav path, or return to base. In chapter 2 the AI's are more complex.

I'm hoping to have a big update come through this weekend - which will allow you to finish chapter 1.

Velgus

Post by Velgus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 pm

I wonder if it would make sense to have a separate key just for throwing items instead of right mouse button, so that right mouse button could be reserved for items like weapons?

StuartM

Post by StuartM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 pm

If you think about it, that is actually what is happening with right click. Usually it is for Block, Parry or throw a grenade, or a rock.. so something todo with combat on the right hand. Throwing stuff... well, same concept as throwing a grenade, that's why I kept it the same. You can throw a book or a grenade, and if you hand is free, it's a block.

I think having the prompt to throw the walkie talkie near the trampoline will close the gap? We can try a few things... I'll go as planned for this weekend.

BTW - I have such cool grenade stuff, it will definitely come up the game :D

StuartM

Post by StuartM » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 am

Sample of throwing walkie talkie with RMB.

https://youtu.be/5XxOwkM6KZ0